Wrapping up Raleigh

The morning began well. I was up at 3:15 a.m. and ready to go before 4 a.m. Kelli dropped me at T2 so I could put out my run gear and catch a shuttle to the lake. I was on one of the first buses to leave the shuttle area and arrived at T1 by 5 a.m.  Body marking was very efficient and I went to my bike to set up my transition area.  My tires were fine. There was a lot of chatter on the Facebook page about tires blowing up yesterday.  I didn’t see many people having to change tires.

One person I really wanted to meet here was Elaine Dowden aka lastwaveelaine.  She is 70

Millie and Elaine

Millie and Elaine

years old and still racing.  I spotted her and her husband on Friday and met them.  Here we are together this morning. It was so nice to meet her.  I can only hope that I am still racing at 70!


I had a good nutrition plan in place for today. I was able to follow everything thing this morning except for a bagel. The hotel said they would have bagels but they had muffins in the bags they prepared for us instead.  I did have my protein shake before I left the room and had two bananas in addition to drinking Heed, Osmo and water starting when I got up.

Swim start

The race was called for wetsuit legal by one tenth of a degree. Many people did not have their wetsuits because yesterday the water temperature was three degrees over the cut off.  I didn’t have mine but I think I would have been too hot in it anyway. Maybe it would have helped though.  It is hard to tell.  This was an age group wave start.  When I looked at the list and number in the wave I thought it would be large but it really wasn’t.  The women in lake viewmy age group were 50+. They were a really nice group of women and we were all basically congratulating one another for being out there at our age and all admiring Elaine and a few other women who were near or over 70.  We want to be them.  We began in the water about waist deep and suddenly heard a scream from a woman near the front of the group.  A snake wrapped around her leg and then swam off.  I don’t know what kind of snake.  I found my spot near the back in my little Meme  box, the gun went off, and we began.  I was in the back, heading out for the first 600.  It was a slow start for me, which seems normal.  For some reason I have a hard time getting going.  This was my first open water swim since last fall. I was not nervous though, just slower than I wanted to be.  I had to rest at a kayak and reset myself and then went on. I finally rounded the first turn.  The water really was not bad temperature wise. I hit a few cold spots but not many. There were kayaks, paddle swim startboards and boats everywhere. I also knew that there were 20 scuba divers in the water from my conversation with the head of the swimming set up on Friday.  I was certainly safe.  Once I was around the first turn the water got rougher. I didn’t really realize that until later. It was very choppy and pretty windy.  Before the swim it appeared like it might rain for a while but it didn’t.  I was taking the swim 100 at a time.  Around the third buoy, or 900 yards, my left calf cramped.  I got to a kayak for a few minutes and worked it out.  It cramped again.  Got to a kayak again. Then both legs cramped and I was at a kayak once again. By this time I was just about to the fifth buoy, or 1100 yards. The kayaker gave me water and a life preserver. I rested and tried to work out the kinks.  I tried to swim again but the cramps were just too bad this time.  I had to call it a day. It took some time to actually get on a boat to get in but when I did, I got a ‘Roll Tide’ from the people on board because they were Alabama grads and their son, who was with them, wants to go to UA.

Closing thoughts

This was not the day I planned but I am ok with it.  I have added to my checklist of things I need to do.  Go buy myself a bagel.  Eat right the day before.  I probably need to rest more.  I did rest but yesterday was busier than I anticipated with running around getting things done.

Thanks Kelli!

Thanks Kelli!

I appreciate the support I have had along the way.There are so many people that  I am afraid I would miss someone if I started naming people. I repeated many of your names as I swam though – it is one of the thing that helps keep me going in a race.  I really want to thank Kelli for coming along and being my tri sherpa. It has been wonderful to have her here.  Sam and I texted immediately.  There will be more swimming.  I’ll get this.  Next Saturday is Buster Britton, take 3.  I’m not giving up.  I will complete a half Ironman. The reasons I race are too important to me not to do so.

I will probably write a few more things about Raleigh. It has been a great experience and I have learned quite a bit. On to Buster Britton though.


About millie jackson

I am a librarian, a yoga teacher, a storyteller, an athlete.
This entry was posted in American Diabetes Association, nutrition, progress, Raleigh 70.3, Sam, triathlon and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Wrapping up Raleigh

  1. Chara says:

    I was thinking about you this morning, hoping things were going well and wishing you well. I’m so sorry that you didn’t get further, but I am so impressed with your attitude. It’s something I’m trying to learn: the ability to be content with where I am and the limitations and lessons that I am supposed to learn there. It’s hard to want more and know that it’s just not time, yet. You are such an encouragement to me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s