Reflections on surgery, transitor radios and 1968

This post is a mixed bag of thoughts.


Yes, I will be having surgery.  It probably be around the beginning of November after I am able to get the new fiscal year up and running, have finished two planned trips, wrapped up some other loose ends, and the choir at FUMCT has performed the Eleanor Daly Requiem for the Service of Remembrance on Nov. 6. I have a lot going on right now.  The doctors I saw on Monday said there was no hurry but that I would have surgery at some point because this really is not going to get better without it.

Achilles tendon: what’s up

I have been told everything from it is inflamed to ruptured.  I think I already mentioned that. Now I have seen the x-rays.  There are two chunks of bone that have to be removed. The Achilles has to be detached and a tendon taken from somewhere else in my foot and woven in with my Achilles to strengthen it.  That is the long version and most that will be done.  I’m talking about options in the morning.  The recovery is 4 weeks totally off my left foot.  Then a boot again for about 3 months.  Total time to recover is estimated at 6 months. It’s outpatient surgery so I won’t be in hospital.  I’ll go, have it done, and come home to rest and hang out with Pete the cat.  I appreciate everyone who has offered to help me.  I’ll accept help on this one.

I am still figuring out the details, what I need to reschedule and rearrange and how all of this will work.

What can I do?

My biggest question was what can I do before surgery and if I don’t have it?  The latter question was pretty much answered when Dr. McGough asked me to balance on my left foot.  I couldn’t do it.  It did not necessarily hurt, but I could not stand on my toes or stretch like I could a few weeks ago.  So, what can I do?  Obviously I cannot run or bike (unless I really like pain).  He said I could swim and do upper body work.  I can also do anything with my right leg.  (One legged biking is possible so don’t laugh at that.  I doubt that I will try it though.)

I have to stay in the boot until surgery.  Then I will be in some kind of splint for 4 weeks and back in the boot.  I looked this up on the internet.  The pictures make my stomach churn.

It will be fine: New challenges

I’ve talked to a number of friends.  I mentioned that one, Dee, asked me how I would have handled this a year ago.  I was thinking more about that.  My high blood pressure had normalized but I still had sleep apnea and I weighed about 100 pounds more than I do now.  I had not yet completed a 5K, let alone a triathlon.  I had barely done a burpee or many of the other things I have done in the past year.  I was still pretty tentative about many things in my life.  I think it would have been incredibly difficult.  I’m not saying this isn’t hard, but it isn’t impossible.  I keep thinking that I don’t have diabetes, or cancer, and I haven’t had a heart attack. This is not life threatening but it need to be taken care of so I can get back to my normal routine.

Sam and I have talked about new sets of goals.  They range from focusing on my nutrition to completing some projects that I just have not done.  I may not be able to move or walk for 4 weeks but I will be able to do some other things.

Transistor radios and 1968

With apologies to Sam, and any other Cardinals or Yankees fans.

This time of year always takes me back to my childhood and sitting in the backyard with my dad, or maybe on the front porch. He had a little black transistor radio and we sat and listened to the Tigers play baseball on WSGW 790.  Sometimes the radio had to be held in a certain way to pick up the signal.  If you are of a certain age, you know what I mean.  Sometimes we watched the game on our big black and white tv but we only really received 2 stations so it just depended on what station they were on.

I particularly remember 1968 (but really I did not remember that they played the Cardinals until I met Sam and said something about the Tigers one day).  I only remembered that the Tigers won because the year before the city was burning during the riots.  Al Kaline, Denny McLain, Micky Lolich, Willie Horton.  Those are the names I remember from my childhood.  And Ernie Harwell’s voice for years.  This all left an impression on my 8 year old mind.

The enduring impression, however, is sitting and listening to baseball with my dad, on the porch or in the backyard at 403 West Thomas Street.  The Tigers won that year but it didn’t matter.  The Tigers were always my Dad’s team.  As I finish this it is the top of the 8th and the Yankees are up 4-1.  But it isn’t over until it’s over.

It’s good to have these memories to distract me from thinking about surgery.

About millie jackson

I am a librarian, a yoga teacher, a storyteller, an athlete.
This entry was posted in exercise, injury, running, Sam, sleep apnea, swimming. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s